The Marcus & Millichap Multifamily Forum: Mid-Atlantic returns on April 30th, 2019! Join the Mid-Atlantic region’s most active and prominent developers, investors, owners, and operators as they converge on Washington D.C. to discuss the current state and future of the nation’s most exciting apartment market.
About This Event
Now in its 8th year, the conference has become the annual meeting ground for apartment industry leaders and experts to take an in-depth look at the region’s most important development trends as well as investment strategies in an increasingly competitive market. Hear from both national and regional players active in the Mid-Atlantic, as they discuss recent deals, terms, innovations and development activity.
Already involved are Blackfin Real Estate Investors, Fairfield Residential, Cityline Partners Urban Atlantic, E&G Group, Kettler Management, George Mason University, Rubin Group, MRP Realty, Airbnb In, Equity Residential, Continental Realty Corp.
- Learn from local and national players as they discuss Amazon’s potential impact on the region
- Understand how leading developers and owners are adapting to co-living and short-term rentals
- Hear how investors are finding Opportunity Zones throughout the Mid-Atlantic
- Get access to the real scoop in closed-door, peer-to-peer roundtables for select participants (separate registration required)
- See how the region is stacking up against other major U.S. markets during an exclusive State of the Market Presentation
Get Involved Next Year!
SVP – Acquisitions
Continental Realty Corp.
ASB Real Estate Investments
President of Construction
Head of East Coast Aquisitions
Blackfin Real Estate Investors
VP – Innovation & Product Development
Founder and Principal
Neighborhood Development Company
Engineered Tax Services
Founder and President
Hartman Design Group
VP – Client Services & Business Development
Carlyn and Company
Vice President /
Marcus & Millichap
National Multifamily Housing Council
George Mason University
War Horse Cities
Keener Squire Properties
Outlier Realty Capital
Multifamily State of the Union: National vs. Mid-Atlantic Markets
Get the latest apartment market data and analysis on the Mid-Atlantic apartment markets versus comparable metros around the country. Come hear John Sebree, Director of Marcus & Millichap’s National Multi Housing Group, as he reveals up-to-the-minute regional and national apartment industry trend data and analytics, as well as key findings from M&M’s proprietary owner survey that will show you what your peers are thinking with regard to their planned investment and divestment activity in the coming year.
- ▪ How do Washington D.C, Northern Virginia, Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic markets stack up against comparable apartment markets across the nation?
- ▪ How are rents trending for Class A, B and C apartment properties?
- ▪ What does the pipeline of new units look like and how are they likely to affect rents?
- ▪ How saturated is the current apartment market in the region?
- ▪ What other markets should you also consider for future investment?
- ▪ What are your peers considering in terms of buying and selling properties in the next year?
- John S. Sebree, FVP & National Director – Multifamily, Marcus & Millichap
Silver Linings: Multifamily Capital Sources Discuss Finance Trends for Mid-Atlantic Opportunities
Multifamily capital markets are changing fast. Interest rates are rising, real estate equity fund formation has dropped, and every deal gets scrutinized closely and structured carefully. Meanwhile, debt fund formation is way up, with large number of equity shops starting credit funds. Close to home, the government shutdown is not helping multifamily owners, and the prospect of further political conflict appears to increase risk in the capital region. And yet new opportunities have recently come on to the scene with the announcement of Amazon in Crystal City and the rollout of Opportunity Zones. What do you need to know about today’s debt and equity markets for your next acquisition, refinance or construction project?
- ▪ What kinds of deals are getting equity funding today and by whom?
- ▪ How are the equity pieces being structured in light of recent changes?
- ▪ Who is actively lending? For what kinds of deals? At what rates and terms?
- ▪ How can investors and developers take advantage of Opportunity Zones?
- ▪ What funding alternatives such as PACE are available today?
- ▪ How do lenders and investors factor in risk of government shutdowns?
Needles in Haystacks: Emerging Value Add Opportunities in the Mid-Atlantic Region
The market for older B and C class properties with significant upside has become picked over, creating serious challenges for would-be buyers. With competition for deals at “cutthroat” levels, active multifamily deals sponsors need to think outside the box in terms of acquisition criteria, location and value-add business model in order to successfully win the next deal at a price that works. Where and how can investors find new value-add deals that make sense?
- ▪ Which specific markets in and around the D.C. metro still have room to run?
- ▪ What are the secrets to acquiring a deal off the market?
- ▪ How can buyers and sellers both achieve their goals in today’s high priced market?
- ▪ What services enhance the value of an older property with limited amenity space?
- ▪ How do you work Opportunity Zones into your value add investment business plan?
- ▪ What type of capital construction projects have the best ROI?
User Interface: Innovations in Property Management and the Tenant Experience
As new units continue to come online and rents come off of all-time highs, the pressure is on operators to stay competitive in maintaining occupancy without impairing NOI. Going forward, apartment landlords need to take an “outside the box” approach in their property management strategy to protect revenue, control costs and find new sources of ancillary income. Creative owners are looking at technology, short-term rentals, tenant services and experiences, and special amenities as various means to drive tenant retention and attraction. What specific initiatives work today and which ones should you cast aside?
- ▪ What are the benefits and costs of operators allowing shorter-term rentals in their properties?
- ▪ How are renters reacting to the Well standard and will they pay a premium for it?
- ▪ What smart building technologies are worth implementing?
- ▪ Which third party services yield incremental revenue from apartment communities?
- ▪ How are creative operators best dealing with an onslaught of package deliveries?
- ▪ Which steps should you take to maximize retention at lease renewal?
12:30 PM – Lunch Workshop
Tax Minimization Strategy Update: Opportunity Zones, Tax Incentives & Credits
The presentation is designed to provide the latest updates to Federal, State, and Local Energy & Specialty Tax Incentives and provide clarity to the design, qualification and certification process to maximize results and cost savings on Purchases, Renovations, Improvements and New Construction projects. During this presentation, you will be able to understand how to capture and best utilize Cost Segregation, Energy Tax Credits (like 179D for commercial buildings and 45L tax credits for residential and multi-family projects). In addition, this presentation includes special information about Opportunity Zones, how they work and how to take advantage of their special tax status.
Keep Calm and Build On: The Outlook for New Unit Development
While new unit development in other markets around the nation begins to slow, development in the Mid-Atlantic region is prime for continued growth. With the announcement of Amazon’s “HQ 1.5” in Northern Virginia, the need for additional housing in the capital region has suddenly increased, and across the region major projects are springing up to fill the need. Yet new build is not without its pain points: High-construction costs, arbitrary regulation enforcement, government shutdowns, availability of suitable sites at the acceptable prices, and sluggish unit absorption at the high end are hurdles that developers struggle to maneuver.
- ▪ How many units are forecasted to be created in the next three years?
- ▪ What is the expected net latent demand or surplus for new units?
- ▪ How can developers build new for low to middle income tenants and be profitable?
- ▪ Which strategies work most reliably for controlling construction costs?
- ▪ What innovations or technologies can address today’s building challenges?
- ▪ Who is lending on new construction projects and on what terms?
Closing Remarks & Networking Reception
If you are interested in participating in a closed-door roundtable, contact Claudia Gutwirth at email@example.com.
Operational Excellence: A Closed-Door Roundtable
Founded in 1971, Marcus & Millichap is a leading commercial real estate brokerage firm focusing exclusively on investment sales, financing, research, and advisory services, with more than 1,700 investment professionals in offices throughout the United States and Canada. The firm has perfected a powerful property marketing system that integrates broker specialization by property type and market area; comprehensive investment research; a long-standing culture of information sharing; relationships with the largest pool of qualified investors; and state-of-the-art technology matching buyers and sellers. In 2016, the firm closed 8,995 transactions with a sales volume of approximately $42.3 billion.
8th Marcus & Millichap / IPA Multifamily Forum: Mid-Atlantic
Tuesday, April 30
Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel
2800 South Potomac Ave
Arlington, Virginia 22202
Room Block Information:
We have reserved a block for attendees at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for the night of April 29th. The room rate is $269 per night plus tax. Reserve your room by clicking here.
Please note that the discount is available until April 9th or until the rooms sell out, whichever comes first.
Powered by GreenPearl
Private Label Conferences
We believe in the magic that happens when the smartest, boldest minds come together resulting in business growth and industry evolution. We build high-value events that foster relationships, tap into intellectual wisdom, promote authentic interaction and create success for our clients.