Chief Operating Officer
About This Event
The fourth Marcus & Millichap / IPA West and Central Florida Multifamily Forum being held on April 27, 2018 in Tampa, will welcome the regions most active multifamily investors, owners, developers, financiers, deal-makers and other industry professionals. Don’t miss the opportunity to find solutions for the most current, pressing challenges in the Tampa and Orlando multifamily industry, to network with the highest-level industry leaders, and to learn the latest business strategies.
This year’s conference features keynote speakers Steve Patterson, President and CEO of Related Development and Brian Auld, President of the Tampa Bay Rays. Learn where the Tampa and Orlando markets are now, where they are headed and how demographics are dictating their decisions across the development process. Join them along with over 40 other industry leaders and experts.
The Marcus & Millichap / IPA Multifamily Forums across the U.S. bring together over 6,000 multifamily owners, investors, managers and developers annually to create an in-person marketplace for learning, discovery, networking and deal-making. The sessions address the major issues affecting the apartment and condo markets today, and the networking allows multi-housing principals to meet, talk and source deals and investment capital.
▪ Patty Adkins, Allure Properties and Investments
▪ Robert Cambo, Alliance Companies
▪ Ricardo Caporal, The Mattoni Group
▪ Ornon Corcino, Colony East Apts
▪ Brenda Dusek, Dusek Network
▪ Loretta Easton, Easton Real Estate Advisory
▪ David Eisenberg, Wharton Equity Partners
▪ Joe Emerson, Weller Residential
▪ Reinerio Faife, FUTURA
▪ Norman Fisher, Fisher Real Investments
▪ Claudia Fisher, Fisher Real Investments
▪ Eric Flynn, Oxford Properties
▪ Todd Fultz, Plaza Construction
▪ Kevin Glenn, Austin Commercial
▪ Glen Mowatt, Altis Cardinal
▪ Brenda Muller, Asset Preservation
▪ Kary Nordholz, Ares Management
▪ Stephen Novacki, Picerne Real Estate Group
▪ Henry Preston, Preston Giuliano Capital Partners
▪ George Quay, Weller Residential
▪ Jeff Robbins, Related Group of Florida
▪ Lukas Samuels, Allure Properties and Investments
▪ Nitesh Sapra, NitNeil Partners
▪ Phillip Smith, Framework Group
▪ Ken Stoltenberg, Mercury Advisors
▪ Cindy Taylor, CKT Development Company
▪ Nathan Vannatter, ZVN Properties
▪ Jason Ward, FCP
8:00 AM – Exhibit Hall & Dining Area
Registration, Networking Breakfast & Exhibit Hall Opens
8:45 AM – General Session
8:50 AM – General Session
Multifamily State of the Market: National vs. West and Central Florida Markets
Learn how the West and Central Florida multifamily markets compares to other key markets across the country. John Sebree, Director of Marcus & Millichap’s National Multi Housing Group, presents the latest data on apartment property construction, demand, supply, pricing and more.
- John Sebree, FVP & National Director, Multifamily, Marcus & Millichap
9:25 AM – General Session
- Kevin McQuaid, Commercial Real Estate Editor, Florida Business Observer
- Steve Patterson, CEO & President, Related Development
10:10 AM – General Session
No End in Sight: The Development Outlook across West & Central Florida
Tampa and Orlando have been ranked in 2017’s top multifamily markets for growth. A booming local job market coupled with a national increase in urban dwellers, has turned these metro areas into some of the highest for population growth. But there’s increasing concern about the overbuilding and saturation of luxury Class A apartments. In addition, current renters’ demographic as well as psychographic changes require a shift in mindset. How can developers help people to live their best life? What value are you creating? Some of the biggest multifamily players in the central and west Florida markets, will address hot button issues such as:
- Marketwatch: Understanding the depth of the current multifamily market and what’s coming down the pike.
- Living Cities: Learning how to adapt to market shifts such as the increase in urban dwellers.
- New Frontiers: How is new technology, such as remote cars and Amazon changing both the way you do business and the product you’re creating?
- Strong Winds, Strong Impact: Learning how natural disasters and the resulting migration will affect the regional market.
- New Development Strategies: Retrofitting, repositioning, rezoning, assembling sites, complicated mixed-use deals, and increasing density on existing sites, etc.
- Jay Curran, SVP – Florida & Georgia Multifamily, Crescent Communiities
- Larry Feldman, President & CEO, Feldman Equities
- Harvey Hernandez, Chairman & Managing Director, Newgard Development Group
- Charles Lockwood, Dean, USF Health
- Rebecca Snyder, SVP – Development, Stragetic Property Partners (SPP)
10:55 AM – General Session
11:25 AM – Concurrent Session A
Bringing Your A-Game: The Debt and Equity Side of the Equation
The consensus among most players is that there is an overabundance of luxury Class A apartments. Deals are becoming too expensive. Costs are increasing. Rent growth is flattening. Together we will explore creative solutions for raising capital in the Central and West Florida markets.
- Flexibility is Key: Creating relationships and alternative strategies when loans are difficult to acquire and the number of lenders are limited.
- A New Cash Cow? What is the ROI on mixed-use properties?
- The Recipe for Success: What are equity partners looking for?
- Follow the Money: Where is the capital coming from to finance deals in this market?
- On the Flip Side: Evaluating alternative investment sources.
- Exit Strategy: Considerations regarding cap-rate compressions.
- Richard Katzenstein, SVP & National Director, Marcus & Millichap Capital Corporation
- Roxanne Amoroso, Principal, Mosaic Development
- Paul DeCain, CIO, Bainbridge Companies
- Joe Lubeck, Chief Executive America, American Landmark & Electra America
- Brad Snyder, Principal, Atlantic American Opportunities Fund
11:25 AM – Concurrent Session B
Hitting a Home Run: Value-add Strategies in a Highly Competitive Market
In recent years value-add investing has proven to yield great returns in markets with strong population & job growth. But is the well drying out? With so much capital chasing so few opportunities, as well as increased competition from out-of-state and global entities, how are you going to get ahead?
- The Big Picture: What are your peers are doing in terms of scope?
- Crunching the Numbers: The formula for underwriting and assuming revenue growth.
- The Key to Happiness: Reducing building turnover with value-propositions.
- Extended Bandwidth: Retrofitting existing communities with the latest technologies.
- Value-Add 2.0: Improving on inefficiencies, management, and capital structure issues.
- Ari Abramson, VP – Acquistions, Continental Realty Corp
- John Builder, Director of Investments, Cortland Partners
- Matt Ferrari, Managing Director, Acquisitions & Asset Management – East Coast, TruAmerica Multifamily
- Frank Guerra, Principal, Altis Cardinal
- Jeffrey Rosenfeld, Chief Operating Officer, Adivo Construction
12:15 PM – Concurrent Session A
Communities and Amenities: A Holistic Approach to Property Management
For 2018 and beyond, effective property management requires a shift in mindset – building communities rather than just amenities. Renters are more finicky than ever. The rate at which technology is impacting resident experiences is increasing. How you adapt to changing technology will determine your success.
- The Internet of Things (IoT): The latest trends in “Smart buildings.”
- Virtual Reality: Utilizing technology for online leasing, 3D tours, and online chat bots.
- Beyond the Business Center: Accommodating the new work-from-home set.
- Work-life Balance: How to attract and retain Millennials – tenants and employees.
- There’s a App for that: What are Generation Z’rs looking for in a community?
- Justin West, Regional Manager, Marcus & Millichap
- Tracy Bowers, Managing Director, Pollack Shores
- Mike Brewer, VP – Operations, Radco Residential
- Kristi King, Chief Operating Officer, Robbins Property Associates
- Bobbi Moody, VP – Management, Insula Companies
12:15 PM – Concurrent Session B
Stealing First Base: Creative Solutions to Managing in Times of High Construction Costs
Multifamily investors continue to struggle with rising costs and labor shortages. Construction delays, hiring temp service workers, and a spike in materials costs make it difficult to keep budgets in place. In addition, the recent hurricanes have people buzzing about how to create buildings resilient enough to withstand natural disasters.
- The Road to Resilience: Building & retrofitting to withstand natural disasters.
- Leaving a Big Footprint: The impact of the latest mega projects in central and west Florida.
- Predictive Modeling: The forecast on labor costs and hurricane-related cost spikes.
- Value-based Pricing: The latest design choices for apartment and building layout.
- The Road to Recovery: Understanding insurance rates post-hurricanes and their impact on portfolios.
- Paul Bertozzi, Founder & Managing Partner, Live Oak Contracting
- Eric Hade, Chief Development Officer, Waypoint Residential
- Jay Tallman, Principal, Ascentia Development Group
- Chuck Whittall, Founder & CEO, Unicorp National Developments
1:10 PM – Lunch Workshop
New Trump Administration Updates: Federal, State and Local Energy & Specialty Tax Incentives
The presentation is designed to provide New Trump Administration Updates to Federal, State and Local Energy & Specialty Tax Incentives and provide clarity to the design, qualification and certification process to maximize results and cost savings on purchases, renovations, improvements and new construction projects. During this presentation, you will be able to understand how to capture and best utilize Cost Segregation, Energy Tax Credits (like 179D for commercial buildings and 45L tax credits for residential and multi-family projects) on a local and national scale.
- New Trump Administration Tax and Energy Incentives Updates for the property owner, developer, investor, finance and broker communities.
- Overview of available Energy Tax Credits and recently extended 179D, 45L and R&D Federal and State credits available for the design of energy-efficient buildings.
- Recognize Opportunities and capture benefits for Property Owners, Investors, Architects, Engineers, CPA’s, Real Estate Attorneys, Energy Consultants and Contractors.
- Understand how these new tax laws and related strategies available can become an additional value-added service to your clients, as well as a revenue stream for your firm.
- Additional related benefits and tax strategies including Cost Segregation, Property Tax Appeals, Energy Audits and related savings.
- Michael D’Onofrio, Managing Director, Engineered Tax Services
1:55 PM – General Session
- Brian Auld, President, Tampa Bay Rays
2:25 PM – General Session
- Ari Ravi, Regional Manager, Marcus & Millichap
Refreshments & Networking
Marcus & Millichap / IPA West and Central Florida Multifamily Forum
April 27, 2018
8:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore
2225 N Lois Ave
Tampa, FL 33607
We have reserved a room block for attendees at the Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore for the night of April 26th. The room rate is $209.00 per night plus tax and based on availability. Reserve your room by calling 813-877-6688 ext 1558 and mentioning “Marcus & Millichap Room Block”. Please note that the cutoff date is scheduled for March 22nd.
Powered by GreenPearl
Private Label Conferences
We believe in the magic that happens when the smartest, boldest minds come together resulting in business growth and industry evolution. We build high-value events that foster relationships, tap into intellectual wisdom, promote authentic interaction and create success for our clients.